Saturday, August 16, 2008

Feast of the Assumption

This weekend Little Italy is celebrating the Feast of the Assumption. Yesterday a group of my friends and I gathered at Jessie's house in the heart of Little Italy to watch the procession of Mary (as she ascends into Heaven). I had never been before and was more or less expecting a parade. That was not what I got! I guess because I'm not Catholic I don't understand what this is all about (for more info on what this is click on Feast of the Assumption above). It was interesting to be sure. There was a band and a bunch of kids dressed up like angels and other things I didn't know. Then there were the priests and these guys (again, not being Catholic I don't know who these people are. Heck, maybe even the Catholics don't know who they are!)




But the climax of the whole procession is when Mary makes her way down the road all the while prayers (or something in Latin and Italian, I think) are being played on a loud speaker.

It was definitely not what I was expecting, but it was fun and a great cultural experience.
I think tonight we're going to head down to sample some of the delicious food! One thing about the Italians, they sure know how to cook! So if you see me tomorrow and I look 9 months pregnant again you'll know why! Bon appetit!







4 People who care:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I don't think I would have understood a thing about that whole procession, but I am all about sampling Italian food! Glad you had fun despite the crowds. Good thing you know someone in Little Italy!

Jess said...

Miriam, you are seriously hilarious!! That sounds like a blast (I would have had no idea what was going on either!!) but I know the food is good!! I miss little Italy!
Oh, and glad you liked the Mint Cafe!! We LOVED that place!

Summer Mortensen said...

Hi Miriam! I was just looking through other people's blogs and i just found yours and Andrea's! I hope you don't mind, i just love looking at what everyone is up to these days! Myah is so cute, how are you handling two kids?? I'm a little nervous to do it myself, but i still have a little while! You are welcome to check out our blog anytime- markandsummer.blogspot.com. It looks like you're all doing well and you are such a cute little family!

Haley said...

Oh how I miss those quirky holiday and festivities in Cleveland! Enjoy it while you still can... The fam looks good!