Thursday, February 21, 2008

Damon in the Dominican Republic

Since Damon was afraid to take our digital camera with him to the Dominican Republic (hereafter known as the DR) for fear it might be stolen (Bad mission memories) he didn't get a single picture of him and the others in the DR. Luckily a lot of other people were brave enough to take their cameras and got some pictures. Okay some is not quite the word. They put them all on a DVD (there were some short film clips as well) and there are close to 1,500 pictures!!! Don't worry, I won't post them all! This might end up being kind of long though because of all of the pictures. If you're not interested you can just skip this post. :)

Maybe I should give a little bit more info on the whole trip before I start throwing the pictures up. Damon went to the DR with a group called the G3 Foundation. I don't know anything about this foundation so you'll have to ask someone else about it. All I know is that there were a few dentists, an oral surgeon, some wannabe dentists from Case (including 2 of Damon's good friends Bren and Wes)and a whole lot of equipment. Basically they went to the DR and did dental work, mostly kids this time, for free. It was a really good experience for Damon since he was able to work on so many different people with lots of different problems. Plus, as many as you know, Damon served his mission for our Church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) in the Dominican Republic from 1998 to 2000 and hasn't been back since. He was SUPER excited about going and that is actually what kept me going while he was gone...knowing he was having so much fun and doing so much for others that they would never be able to afford. So I think they worked for 3 or 4 days and then they went to a resort for 3 days. All in all they had a blast. He came home a crispy critter and tired, but I'm so glad he got to go! Now for the pictures!

Part of the group at the airport before they left






Waiting outside the Hotel

Nice wiring huh?


The Kuky gift shop below the hotel. This is where Damon got the jewelry he brought home to me, I'm not sure how I should feel about that.














View from a tower at the oldest fort in the Americas


Getting ready to go "work" for the day.

The "Phone Tree" No other explanation needed













Tropical Sunset and (below)
Hanging out at the beach
Wes & Bren getting ready to snorkel
Damon taking a lunch break

Hanging out by the bar in the resort pool-They really worked hard on this trip!


Damon tells me that they worked on this trip but so far most of the pictures I've seen are all about having fun. Oh wait! I did find some of them working after all!

The "Dental Clinic" sign

Kids waiting to get examined...they had no idea what kind of torture awaited them!


Damon actually working









Damon and Wes working










Oh look! Bren was working too!
Damon concentrating really hard. I sure hope he knows what he's doing, this looks serious!

Okay, that's all of the torture I have in store for all of you blog readers today. If you have the burning desire to see more DR pictures (not sure why you would, but hey) let me know and you can see hundreds more just like this. Really though, it was an awesome experience for Damon and he is already excited to go again next year.

2 People who care:

Carissa Poyfair said...

It looked like they had so much fun- even though they were "working"! I told Adam he is definitely going next year. I think he would love to "work" a lot too (like in the pool or the beach, etc).

Anthony said...

I also wondered what it would be like to go to a tropical island? Must be nice! By the way im done in PHX and headed home today! love you guys and talk to you soon