Friday, January 2, 2009

We're going for it

So I've been reading this book, The Power of Positive Parenting, and there is a chapter on potty training. I've been really afraid of potty training for awhile now, not quite sure how to start. Diapers are just so convenient, too convenient. I don't have to know where the nearest bathroom is everywhere I go, I don't have to pack around an extra pair of pants and underwear, I don't have to deal with all of the stress involved with potty training. But, I think it is time I bit the bullet. I don't know if either Hannah and I are completely ready, but I'm at least going to make a go of it. I think here in the next couple of months is the best time for us to do this, before we move and all of the changes that will be taking place.

The book talks about using positive reinforcement to teach your child bladder control. The author made it sound all too easy. I found myself thinking, "Is that it? Is it really that easy? I can do that!" I think it was the lack of sleep. I think I was delusional, I think my brain was malfunctioning. Regardless, I made up my mind to try positive reinforcement potty training. The author (Dr. Glenn I. Latham) said you just check them periodically during the day trying to find times when they are dry and praising them for it with words like: "Oh Hannah! You're doing a great job keeping your diaper dry." Followed up with a reminder of what you expect of them, "When you need to wet, come tell mommy and we'll go to the potty together." I created a little chart for her too. When she sits on the potty she gets to draw a "smiley face" in a box. If she wets on the potty she gets to draw 2. Once the row is filled up (8 smileys at the moment) then she gets a piece of chocolate. So far today:

1 suggested (ok, I put her on there) sit on the potty.
The result: 1 smiley.
Hannah: happy.
Mom: doing ok, not too stressed.

We'll try again after the nap. Wish me luck!

Oh, any and all potty training tips are welcome...I have no idea what I'm doing (I think that's obvious).

2 People who care:

Kate Norton said...

I tried to get Megan interested in potty training for like 2 months, and she just didn't get it/care. Then she spent one weekend with a potty-trained cousin, and WHAMMO! She starting using the potty 100% of the time. So we give a 3-year-old credit for potty training Megan. So my answering to potty training? Peer pressure.

Congrats to Damon on passing boards! I know how you feel!

Rachel said...

In case your wondering why I; a Mother to a 6 month old is giving you potty-training advice, it's because I nannied a 3 year old in Cleveland. So, with him, yes, the positive reinforcement works! You are doing almost exactly what I did, except I used stickers when he used the potty. We did 1 sticker if he sat on the potty and went, and 2 if he sat on the potty and went AND his diaper was dry from before. 10 stickers and we went to the Dollar Tree to get him a toy!

I found that the BEST for him was to "show" someone else how to do it by teaching! His big sister had a doll that "wet" and he would hold it over the potty and show "her" how to use it! It was fun to watch!