Monday, January 28, 2008

Roseola visits our house




So this morning Hannah was covered in spots. I called the Dr. and they couldn't get her in until 4:50 so I asked for the Dr. to call me instead. Meanwhile I was going over in my mind what she could have possibly eaten that she was allergic to or if the antibiotic she's been on for 10 days for an ear infection could have suddenly caused her to break out in a rash. I couldn't come up with a single thing that she'd eaten the day before that could have caused her problems as it was all things she eats on a regular basis. So, I decided to check my email. Like many other moms I know, I get emails from babycenter.com about various things relating to my child. There just happened to be one in my inbox and it had a link to the symptom guide (very handy) so I clicked on the one for rash and low and behold there was one that described Hannah's possible condition, Roseola. After talking to the Dr. she agreed that it most likely was roseola and that there wasn't any point in bringing her in unless the rash got worse because it is viral and there is nothing they can do about it.

According to Baby Center: "Roseola is a fairly mild and common viral illness that usually strikes children between 6 months and 3 years of age. It's possible to have the virus without having noticeable symptoms. But roseola usually starts out with a sudden, relatively high fever, often above 103 degrees Fahrenheit.The fever typically lasts three to five days and may end abruptly, followed by the telltale rash. The rash may last for days or only hours.The rash is pink and may have small flat spots or raised bumps. These spots may have a lighter "halo" around them and may turn white if you press on them.The rash isn't itchy or uncomfortable, and contact with the rash itself doesn't spread the illness. It's usually seen on the trunk and neck, but it can extend to the arms, legs, and face.If your toddler has roseola, he may also be irritable and tired and have mild diarrhea, a decreased appetite, and swollen eyelids. The lymph nodes in his neck and at the base of his skull may also be a bit enlarged. In general, children with roseola don't appear especially ill, considering how high their fevers get."

I'm sorry if any of your children come down with this spotty virus...but it could be worse! It could be chicken pox or something. I don't know where Hannah got it and again I'm so sorry if we pass it on to you.

So, I have a spotty baby and we're stuck in the house AGAIN! Someday I might make it to the grocery store like I have been planning since Thursday! But at least Damon got home safely last night and I don't have to deal with Ms. Teething Spotty by myself.


My little Dalmatian!

3 People who care:

Emily said...

Oh my gosh you're poor little girl! That is so sad Miriam! I hope she feels better soon.

Thanks for posting all the info about it, I had no idea what the symptoms were or anything, so that was really helpful.

Jordan and Danny said...

I hate how that rash always shows up at the beginning or end of a virus. It's like the virus itself isn't bad enough! Hopefully it won't last very long; McKay's never did. I'm glad Damon got home safely. It's hard to do everything on you own, isn't it! Hang in there! Oh, and cute background too!

Misty said...

Poor Hannah- glad it doent tch, that would be WAY worse!